Carved from Virginia sandstone in 1828 and built to stand the test of time, this neo-classical façade is the lofty democratic ideal of a young nation made manifest. Work on the building itself was ongoing until 1864, at which time the familiar capitol dome was completed. The dome as constructed was significantly larger than it was initially conceived, ultimately dwarfing the east portico. Evolution in democracy and design. An addition to bring the scale of the portico in line with that of the rest of the structure was considered and finally executed in 1958. The historic remains of the original east portico – where presidents from Andrew Jackson to Dwight Eisenhower were inaugurated – were cast aside inauspiciously, disposed of, and fairly forgotten.
Rock Creek Park and the National Arboretum
Abandoned Washington DC by Thomas Kenning